Comments: The Friday Question

Two - one upstairs and one downstairs. Plus nail scissors. All of which regularly get used for non-scissor functions.

Posted by Debster on 24 February, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Sufficient to avoid scissor-rage, at least. A dozen or so.

The little ones on 'Swiss Army' penknives are invaluable, though am now reluctant to take a penknife outside the house given the draconian sentencing for carrying a blade (yes I know there's an exemption for penknife blades under 3 inches but you only need one person in blue who's ignorant of that fact.....)

Posted by Gordon on 24 February, 2012 at 11:17 AM

While I have many (not as many as you), the only pair of scissors of note are the two pairs (one normal one very large) that I use now for upholstery, which were my grandfather's tailoring scissors. Both are excellent and a pleasure to use.

Posted by Ham on 24 February, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Thirteen- one bandage scissors, one hair scissors, one kitchen shears, two kid's safety scissors, one fabric shears, one pinking shears, two nail scissors (don't know why), two sewing scissors (one in a travel sewing kit), two paper shears.

And if you hadn't asked I would not have know I have so many pairs.

Posted by la peregrina on 24 February, 2012 at 6:56 PM

14.

I never knew that there were so many...and they all have very specific uses.

Posted by Alix on 24 February, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I thought our seven(ish) pairs was a lot, but apparently I'm way behind most of you.

Posted by three-legged cat on 24 February, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Having read the above comments, which have reminded me of job-specific scissors I hadn't thought of, I think we must be up to at least 25.

Posted by allotmentqueen on 25 February, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Jobs are clearly laid out in this house. I buy scissors, the Sage loses them. We must have dozens, I could lay my hands on six or eight pairs now, if I looked.

Posted by Z on 26 February, 2012 at 5:34 PM

don't forget my little scissors on my key ring as part of my leatherman pen knife (still razor sharp after about 15 years, bought with my winnings on a fruit machine in Vegas), which have by accident travelled on 4 planes, if not more, in the last 2 years, when I have forgotten to take them off my keyring before travelling.

Posted by Mr BW on 27 February, 2012 at 5:17 PM