Comments: Tuesday titbits

Argos sell hula hoops, though I don't know if they count as a real shop (which I take to mean 'can inspect *before* buying'). Wilkinson don't show them online, though they might carry them in summer. A tour of pound shops might do the trick?

Posted by Gordon on 24 April, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Thanks Gordon, Argos will be fine (you can always ask to see any product before paying, as you probably know).

Pound shops make me cringe - so many people buying so many things that sell elswehere for well under a pound! Not Value - although there are occasional hidden bargains.

Posted by Blue Witch on 24 April, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Poundshops are great, as long as you know your market and what you can actually get cheaper elsewhere. And you have to be prepared for lack of quality.

We also have an interesting setup of 2x recording digiboxes in order to receive tv now (together with 3x video recorders plus a camera to the bird box - the cabling in our house has to be seen to be believed) but fortunately this doesn't cause us any problems. Other than managing to pick up the correct remote. :)

Posted by GoodTwin on 24 April, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I have to say that a full glass roof is practically a must have for any car of mine. I like the daylight!

Tim

Posted by Tim on 24 April, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Yes, car mpg figures are deliberately deceiving and dishonest. Would you expect anything else from that particular industry? The figures are obtained on a rolling road -I.e. with no wind resistance so they can never be true.

Posted by Temp on 24 April, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Gosh, I was so tempted to say any supermarket in the crisps aisle.

Posted by allotmentqueen on 25 April, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Not that I want to support the deceitful advertising for the car industry, but the consumption figures ARE useful as a method of comparison, in the first instance. They provide a consistent baseline against which you can evaluate your own likely performance, notwithstanding that manufacturers will tweak the performance to excel at the DoT test. If you want meaningful statistical information you have to look at more than the maximum possible consumption, to guess how it will perform in real life (torque curve and stuff like that). Also, you know that the published consumption IS available, dependent on your driving ability, but not always practical. For example, I had a b-i-i-i-i-g fight (and got nowhere) with my last car, a VW Passat diesel that started life averaging 32 mpg (!!!). In contrast, my new car has published 65.7 mpg and although it is still new I can just about achieve that, for example on a recent motorway run to Coventry I got about 60 mpg average, calculated not from the car display. I don't expect that the urban (44) or combined (55) will be what I achieve, but I do expect around 40 and 50 respectively.

Posted by Ham on 25 April, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Best thing about pound shops is the smaller size of After Eight boxes, now they fit back into the silver holder thingy I inherited from mum - previously the boxes had grown too long to fit.

Posted by Debster on 25 April, 2012 at 4:56 PM