Comments: Thing I've learnt in the last week

That's an excellent idea about the cucumber. We'll be doing that from now on.
The sugar & olive oil, is that like a glycerine type treatment for the hands? I shall google it.

Posted by delcatto on 25 July, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Well, since you ask, I only heard about the former radar tower at Great Baddow yesterday. It is a very impressive structure, if you go for that kind of thing, and a lot less depressing than the underground nuclear bunker at Kelvedon.
There is a link to it here :- http://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/files/Great_Baddow_Mast_A4.pdf

Posted by Temp on 25 July, 2016 at 6:06 PM

Me? That would be how wonderful the medical profession can be. OT have been fabulous, altering Mr Mogs brace several times and always with a smile. That it's better in the long run to frog a shawl if you don't like the way it looks rather than keep going and thinking it will look better. It doesn't .

Posted by Ambermoggie on 25 July, 2016 at 11:16 PM

A snail can lay a lot of eggs. Thank goodness I found them and removed them from my plant container before they hatched.

Posted by Sarah on 26 July, 2016 at 11:55 PM

Cucumbers - not sure where you got this info from. See "Why Shrink-wrap a Cucumber? The Complete Guide to Environmental Packaging" by Stephen Aldridge and Laurel Miller. They point out that a wrapped cucumber lasts more than three times as long as an unwrapped one. It will also lose just 1.5 per cent of its weight through evaporation after 14 days, compared with 3.5 per cent in just three days for an exposed cucumber.

Posted by Tim on 27 July, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Ah but, if there is moisture or bacteria on a cucumber when they are shrink wrapped, or a hole in the shrink-wrap, or changes in storage conditions (such as happens in transport from supplier to supermarket storage room, to supermarket sales floor) you have ideal conditions for deterioration.

As the problem most people have with cucumbers is patches of decay developing inside the shrink wrap, removing the shrink-wrap before putting them in the fridge, will remedy the problem.

9 ladies from my patchwork group (who were told this tip by the tenth) will attest that this really does work.

Cucumbers at room temperature may lose less moisture, but in a fridge, you want them to be able to 'breathe'.

But, I'm not a biologist - just applying common sense to what is a recognised problem, and thinking why taking off the plastic does work.

Posted by Blue Witch on 27 July, 2016 at 2:14 PM

I've learnt that that you can buy very short cross stitch needles from specialist sewing sites; and then use them to up almost every inch of expensive embroidery threads.
I've also learnt how to invisibly seam set in sleeves.
MrO has learnt not to interrupt me when I'm setting in sleeves:-)
I owe you a long, long overdue email. Apologies. It's been a long road but there's a turning ahead!

Posted by Oddny on 30 July, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Sorry, cross- stitch and set-in!

Posted by Oddny on 30 July, 2016 at 8:32 PM

I've learnt that there is an important difference between a universal power shower pump and a positive pressure pump. A very expensive difference.

Posted by Mr BW on 30 July, 2016 at 9:58 PM

I've learnt that chillies, quite reasonably hot three weeks previously and then left in the fridge, seem to lose their heat raw but then are very spicy indeed when cooked.

I agree with all you say about shrink-wrapped cucumbers. They usually go mouldy in days at room temperature or slimy in the fridge and, though it no doubt does mean they keep longer in the shop, that's no advantage to me. I'd rather have a fresher cucumber.

Posted by Z on 31 July, 2016 at 8:14 PM