Comments: The autumn of the world?

To me there are 2 areas that hit me from this.

First of all we have become less trusting of authority. This is good. Just look at how politicians were interviewed 50 years ago, being allowed to deliver a speech without question. This has raised many issues that I think were always there.

The second is new, to me. I am finding myself becoming more and more aligned with core labour views (ignoring current wranglings). I have never voted labour in my life. But I see a return to some aspects of employment that produced the labour movement in the first place. Not the 70s 'everyone out' but the 1900s need to help workers from exploitation.

Whilst H&S has done lots for core safety etc and minimum wage has done some to help, employers are simply becoming more clever at exploiting those at the bottom.

Shareholders demand strong returns, those at the top deliver and so receive high salaries. The result is usually a squeeze to the bottom level in the name of improved productivity.

Whilst this might be great in the shareholder view it does nothing for a cohesive society. The Hollywood film conclusion would be a society akin to that in the 'The Hunger Games'. Extreme perhaps, but I see the parallels, unless we revisit the importance of those at the base of the pyramid, without whom those at the top would not have their penthouse views.

Erm, vote Labour...

Posted by Mr BW on 15 September, 2016 at 8:49 AM

Have you forgotten 1997-2010 already?

Have you forgotten who started PFI for hospitals (now taking up to a third of many hospital budgets, hence why there is allegedly no money in the NHS for patients), who staretd Academies (now making eduction more unequal and postcode-driven than ever), who 'invented' the WCA for disabled people (casuing umpteen suicides and months of uncertainty), who took us to war in Iraq?

Vote BW Party dammit!
(yes, I know they've been quiet of late, but they believe in all those things you mention, they're just too disgusted by how the world is going that they are speechless)

Or maybe you were just trying to provoke debate? Either way, I have your proxy vote and I can get to the polling station before you ;)

Posted by Blue Witch on 20 September, 2016 at 12:31 PM

...whilst bizarrely I don't think I will be voting Labour in the near future. I've been in the Labour party and tend to vote that way when it counts..... I'm looking for a new Left Wing party these days. :)

Posted by NiC on 23 September, 2016 at 2:32 PM

You raise too many issues to be dealt with in a simple comment. But it is good to see you mention population problems, which I see as the major problem for us all, both now and in the future.

I would love to see one political party make a start on dealing with this. They all have avoided it on the grounds that it would be political suicide to try to control the population, but there must be enough people around now who recognise the issue to give them substantial voting support.

There is so much that could be done, without treading on too many toes. A campaign to promote "Stop at Two" could be as successful as the stop smoking campaign has been, and a similar exhortation to start one's family at a later age could be based on the concept that a double income to (say) the age of thirty would enable a house to be bought and so provide a better start to the children when they do come along.

Then we have the migration issue. The Migration Watch site is worth looking at, even if you probably do not accept all their figures. At last there are some promises being made to get migration under control.

The benefits of limiting the population are so obvious. Less pressure on land for food production and housing, less pollution, less work for the NHS (a bottomless pit, whatever you do to finance it) smaller classes, no need to provide more and more commuter trains, paid for out of season ticket money. And so on - and on.

I don't agree that we need more extra workers all the time to look after the ageing population, either. It is the younger end of the population who need the extra support - schools, maternity services, housing and job training.

Where does the BW party stand?

Posted by Temp on 24 September, 2016 at 6:37 PM

The BW Party agrees with all your sentiments Temp. Which office would you like?

Posted by Blue Witch on 24 September, 2016 at 7:11 PM

The BW Party has a D'Ove mascot which has two wings. Which office would you like NiC?

Posted by Blue Witch on 24 September, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Genghis Khan's old position please.

Posted by Temp on 24 September, 2016 at 8:20 PM

War monger Temp? The BW Party does not believe in physical conflict. However good it may be at population control...

Posted by Blue Witch on 25 September, 2016 at 7:15 AM