Comments: But what about the germs?

I'm quite pleased to be currently away from work. From ex-colleagues it sounds like the leurgy is running rampant & hospitals are notorious for spreading germs. Having said that, I seem to have a sore throat and I can blame that on the supermarket as I haven't been anywhere else for the past couple of days!

Posted by delcatto on 10 January, 2018 at 5:23 PM

I share your disgust at low standards of hygiene, especially in view of having been sneezed over repeatedly by a well-dressed but obviously filthy individual sitting behind me on the bus today. However the memories you have evoked by your mention of staffroom mugs have really made me shudder. I took my own mug into school each day, washed it thoroughly and never left it in the staffroom. I never used the staffroom fridge either, and dread to think what was growing in there.

Posted by Oddny on 10 January, 2018 at 5:53 PM

I have to wonder about the handling of mugs brought in by people for refilling. They will be touching equipment touched by people touching other people's mugs. And by definition these mugs will likely have not been washed since their last use, at least towards the end of a busy day. Hmmm

Posted by Mr BW on 12 January, 2018 at 8:40 PM

Nothing else for it.
On with the total body condoms everyone.
Stay in your homes.

Posted by drD on 13 January, 2018 at 5:44 AM

There are an awful lot of people around with compromised immune systems drD, and many of them have no idea about bacteria, let alone bacterial growth, and no concept of how to 'protect' themselves..

Don't jest - if this one isn't solved, then a lot more of the NHS's budget is going to be unnecessarily spent.

Posted by Blue Witch on 13 January, 2018 at 8:38 AM

I remember when I was young it was unheard of to spit in public. Now it is only too common to observe :(

PS - BW, nice to see you are blogging again!!

Posted by Tim W on 13 January, 2018 at 8:52 AM

Tim - thanks to you (and others) for putting up with the lack of accessible archives and the creaking comments, and for taking the time to add to the debate.

Spitting, I am afraid, is attributable to those from different cultures, and then younger citizens copying them. In my new Brave Grumpy Old Woman world, I now say, pointedly (and provided that there are other people/shops with open doorways around, just in case), "We don't do that in this country because it spreads germs!"

Posted by Blue Witch on 13 January, 2018 at 11:20 AM