Comments: Plastics Part 3

Posted by NiC on 28 March, 2018 at 9:53 AM

Never particularly pleasant to be accosted by a policeman but I suspect the day they pass you by and dismiss you as harmless you'll miss it. Witchy? Harmless? Hahahahahaha. Alternatively, maybe they've heard about yarn bombing, not sure what it is and couldn't tell the difference between knitting and sewing anyway.

Posted by NiC on 28 March, 2018 at 12:14 PM

I'm intrigued - what reason did the copper give for accosting you?

Posted by Sue on 28 March, 2018 at 2:51 PM

Sue - none, he just asked what I was doing, in a none too friendly tone, calling me 'Sir' (short hair, no make up, wearing warm 'gender neutral' clothes...). Which is why I asked for his warrant card. He wasn't happy at that, and asked me why, so I said, "I need to know that you are a proper police person!" which also seemed to annoy him.

NiC - haha, you know me too well ;)

Relating this to my Patchy Ladies today, one thought he thought I was waiting for couriers to distribute drugs (note I do not have a BMW with blacked out windows), one thought he thought I was dogging (she's 78, her husband is 87, she's prone to flights of fancy), and the third thought he was just checking that I wasn't dead (her weakness is being a bit too gullible).

Posted by Blue Witch on 28 March, 2018 at 7:08 PM

He'd probably checked your registration and seen the car was out of area - reason enough in his head to challenge the driver. Hope it never happens to me as I'm less than tactful and I'd probably get arrested.

Round here, they've got the motorway CCTV trained on litter-tossers and fines will be issued! I have no idea whether anyone has been fined, so far...

Posted by GoodTwin on 29 March, 2018 at 9:16 AM

GoodTwin - glad to hear they are doing something about the litter - but, if the culprit is in a foreign-registered vehicle, I'll bet they don't follow up.

I know of 3 people who have been in accidents (non-fault) with cars/vans registered in Eastern Europe, and have found that the insurance companies don't bother chasing cross-border now, so pay out, meaning your no-claims goes down and your premium goes up.

On weekdays, I'd say that probably 20 - 25% of lorries on the M11 are not UK registered. It seems to be fewer at weekends, but still a significant number.

Posted by Blue Witch on 29 March, 2018 at 10:08 AM

And, yes, the police car went down the road in the opposite direction to me, slowed and looked as he passed, came back a couple of minutes later, parked at the other end of the muddy side-of-field pull-in, and waited several minutes before getting out and approaching me, so he had plenty of time to run a check.

Most of the reason I wasn't more challenging to him was that I didn't want to be a 'marked car' and prone to then being pulled over for the slightest thing. They'd tell you that doesn't happen these days, but I'll bet it does.

Posted by Blue Witch on 29 March, 2018 at 10:12 AM