Comments: Over-priced

#MeToo

Posted by Debster on 7 September, 2018 at 8:01 PM

You might as well complain about the price of English honey at £5 a jar.

The bees produce it for nothing, after all.

That should get BW going, even if your original post doesn't!

Posted by Temp on 7 September, 2018 at 10:57 PM

But, even NICE now understands the Value of honey :)

If beekeepers were paid even minimum wage for their labour, then honey would likely be closer to £25 a jar. And I jest not.

You cannot make money keeping bees, because the cost of the equipment, packaging materials, maintenance, effort, and uncontrollability of the whole operation make it impossible.

At best, and if you are lucky, and a 'bee-keeper' rather than a 'bee-haver', you might, over a number of years (but not every year), break even. The best beekeeper we know (who used to teach beekeeping at the local agricultural college, before the role was abolished 20 years ago, and who has written books used as a reference the world over) has been bankrupt umpteen times in umpteen countries trying to make a living at it.

Beekeepers don't keep bees to make money from selling honey. Beekeepers keep bees because they are endlessly fascinating, and essential to the survival of the world.

If monoculture and reliance on chemicals to hasten natural processes (eg glysophate for ripening OSR and field beans, as well as clearing land instead of ploughing) continue, then the survival of bees (and so mankind) is highly questionnable.

Those worrying about 'the devastating effects of' Brexit are focusing on completely the wrong thing.

Posted by Blue Witch on 8 September, 2018 at 8:39 AM

Include me in that club.

I have been known to rescue soaps, bottles, etc...from the bathroom bin to ensure we use the complete product. TK Maxx is good for cheaper decent soaps and body cleanliness products. Sue hates the shop but I do pop in to pick up any bargains.

As for £12 artisanal bread...mugs born every day. I enjoy baking my own bread at times although I haven't yet tried sour dough. One of my new colleagues keeps bees and her husband used to work at building beehives. We had a long discussion about how they survive cold winters when one of the youngsters asked this question.

Posted by delcatto on 8 September, 2018 at 4:58 PM

Cheat's sourdough delcatto - put yoghurt (the washings-out of the pot, or the whey you pour off homemade yoghurt, if you make it) into a normal yeast bread mixture. Adds a certain je ne sais quoi, and no fussy starter to look after/feed/nurture/spend a fortune on.

Posted by Blue Witch on 8 September, 2018 at 5:27 PM

£12??? £12!!!! I'd say that takes the biscuit, but I doubt I can afford one at those prices.

Ah, look. "Brownbreadonline", well what a surprise. let me paste here a mail I sent them in January. I do very occasionally buy bread, and I have no objection paying an 8x markup on the ingredients if I do, as I recall the price I paid was c £3.50

"I bought two of your loaves from the Wanstead stall today (a baguette and a sour dough bloomer), and I am amazed that you have the effrontery to sell what appears to be day old bread at premium prices. For reference I bake all my bread and have done for years; there is nothing that you can say that will convince me that what I have just eaten was anything other than yesterday's bake (possibly even earlier, it was truly settled). I, for one, will not risk buying from you again."

Posted by Ham on 10 September, 2018 at 10:38 PM

Did you get a reply Ham?

I agree, it is totally impossible for the people running these type of 'market bread stalls' to have made all the bread they sell freshly.

And the flies... don't mention the flies.

Posted by Blue Witch on 11 September, 2018 at 8:55 AM

Oh good grief - £12? That's staggering. As you say, who buys this stuff? Can't help thinking that anyone who'll pay £12 for a loaf of bread kinda deserves to do so, if you know what I mean...

Posted by Thomasina on 11 September, 2018 at 11:20 AM

The reply, pasted as received:

"I’m sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your purchases last Sunday. I can assure you all our bread was freshly baked for Wanstead market, however, we did have an issue with some of our sourdough’s that day but this only came to light later in the day. The matter has been discussed with the baker and these loaves are not being produced for sale until the issue is resolved and we are completely satisfied with the quality.

I appreciate that you have said you do not wish you purchase from us again, but as is our procedure, I attach a credit note to recompense for the goods you were unhappy with."

TL;DR - Load of bollocks.

Actually it occurred to me that the loaves marked at £12 (and, possibly £8) are simply loss leaders, never expected to sell, to convince people that the bulk of loaves (at £3-£4) represent good value.

Oh, and if anyone actually buy's one of them, thats even more betterer.

Posted by Ham on 12 September, 2018 at 6:15 AM

Ham - yes, you could well be right. Or maybe those were stale loaves and they didn't want them to sell, but wanted it to look as if they had a complete prooduct range? And always blame the baker for all problems... for which, as they admit them, legally, they should have given you a refund, not a credit note (but I know that you know that!).

I've seen that company in Saffron Walden market when I've occasionally been there. Looking at their website, they go to lots of places, over a huge geographic area, and looking at their reviews, there is some mention of them being a franchise, which would make perfect sense. Bread made in a factory unit on a diversified farm, sold on, and then sold on again. Franchisee can't afford to ditch stale bread, so sells it regardless of when it was made. Wonder where it is stored between delivery and sale on market stalls? *shudders*

Posted by Blue Witch on 12 September, 2018 at 7:42 AM

They were also selling half loaves and by the end of the day there were a couple of optimistically priced half loaves at £6, with their open sides covered in wasps and flies. Anyone for toast...

Posted by Mr BW on 14 September, 2018 at 7:27 AM

Oh and Temp, appreciate your comment was a little tongue in cheek, but I did once cost out the average production of honey per hive (being officially about 30 jars a hive per year), alongside the average cost of replacement equipment etc and worked out that on an average year we were breaking even and on a good year making about £1 per jar.

That of course assumes no labour cost. If you try to make minimum wage then put the calculator away and take up a paper round.

So definitely not a hobby to earn an income from.

Posted by Mr BW on 14 September, 2018 at 7:33 AM

Wow! £12..... we buy and sell locally baked bread from a local bakery for a stall at our local Farmers Market as a way of getting people to come to the market, most expensive loaf is £3.40 which I previously thought was quite a lot! It is good bread but since I can only eat sourdough and spelt these days I bake my own for personal consumption....which tastes better.

(Very) Locally produced honey is £6.50 round here. Which reminds me, I have a honey question for you....shall email.

Posted by NiC on 19 September, 2018 at 7:40 PM