Comments: Countdown to the FOTCR™

I have come to the conclusion that loyalty to any store or company offering a service is no longer worth it. Sainsbury's are losing my custom in the new year except for the cheaper fuel they offer.
Poor customer service and on one occasion rudeness from staff that I quickly dealt with have decided me to withdraw my custom. They are handy in terms of being close by but as I am driving around at work I can pick and will choose where I take my custom now.

Posted by delcatto on 2 December, 2018 at 12:52 PM

I have to say that the Tooth Fairy has done a wonderful job of supervision and management. My advent calendar overfloweth.

Although I feel she may have had an ulterior motive, as her arrival coincided with a reminder text from my dentist that I need to book a checkup, hmm, I sense collusion.

The nice delivery man also delivered my new wifi adaptor thingy today, Sunday, and my laptop is once again talking to the world without a tether. Fixed for £16, phew.
Mr BW

Posted by mr w on 2 December, 2018 at 1:19 PM

Delcatto - me too with Sainsbury's, for exactly the same reasons as you. Must be the Walmart influence. Or the 18 year old 'trainee managers' who now run smaller stores (including our nearest store) who are more intersted in their phones than customers (and yes, they are now allowed their own phones on the sales floor).

Waitrose, providing one has an £8 off £40 voucher (and we both have cards and are on different voucher cycles, so that is almost all the time) is now cheaper, better, and an altogether better customer experience, for the few bits I can't now get in Aldi's.

Posted by Blue Witch on 2 December, 2018 at 4:29 PM

I had a free advent calendar from Thorntons courtesy of Barclays and it didn't last to the end of the day
Hope you weren't putting teeth into those tiny stockings ...

Posted by Debster on 2 December, 2018 at 8:21 PM

Regarding cheaper fuel, if it's unbranded/own brand, my son kept careful records and came to the conclusion that it's more cost-effective to pay a bit more for Shell, Esso and so on, than supermarket brands, He said he gets about 10% better mileage.

There's only one place now in my town that sells fuel, so I'm stuck with it anyway. I'm not driving 9 miles each way to fill up.

Posted by Z on 3 December, 2018 at 9:06 PM

Z - I've kept records of every gallon/litre of fuel I've put into every vehicle I've owned since 1985. I have always bought whichever fuel is cheapest, and I am constantly looking at prices as I am driving around, so I never end up going out just for fuel. Other than never, ever, using T£$co fuel (our boycot of that company is absolute and forever), I will always put in whatever is cheapest.

I can categorically state that it is not the brand of fuel that makes the difference to MPG. There are too many independent variables to ever be able to state that: temperature, speed, hold-ups, heaviness of right foot...

My MPG is always within 2 or 3 MPG irrespective of the name on the pump, and differences are always explained by the prevailing traffic conditions, as I drive gently and consistently.

All petrol and diesel sold in the UK must conform to British and European standards - EN228 for unleaded and for diesel EN590. It generally all comes out of the same tanks in the refinery. I've often seen unbranded tankers delivering to branded stations, and vice versa. There was a BP tanker delivering in the local Sainsbury's garage only last week.

As with all branded things, if you think something is better because it has a 'brand' then you will find ways of justifying it to yourself.

Some 'premium' fuels do have 'additives'. With modern vehicle engines, I think the motoring media have decreed that they don't make any real difference to all but the very highest performance cars.

Posted by Blue Witch on 3 December, 2018 at 9:53 PM