Comments: P

I'm pretty sure you can reduce/simplify that whole thing down to one P :

People

Posted by Lyle on 15 January, 2019 at 9:37 AM

Yes, I concluded that sometime around 1am Lyle! And that's a 'P' word too :)

But, it's fun to keep thinking about it, and I've tried it with other common popular letters, like t, s, c, r, m, h... and it doesn't work!

Posted by Blue Witch on 15 January, 2019 at 11:30 AM

Perverts

Posted by Debster on 15 January, 2019 at 9:43 PM

I agree with Lyle, it's the common denominator. If I think about it much more I can come up with, well, rather improper suggestions...

As for the Friday question, it did make me pause and consider what I would actually do in that situation. And, as posed, there was the question of if it was proffered as a plate or platter. Given the picture, I assumed the plate was offered to me, not a choice of what was on the plate.

But I love that it made me pause and consider the question, keep them coming!

Posted by Scoakat on 15 January, 2019 at 10:32 PM

I don't see 'Poverty' there. Perhaps it doesn't apply to you?

But it does to most of the world.

Posted by Temp on 16 January, 2019 at 11:38 AM

Maybe add Philistinism - it covers a multitude of problem causes!

Posted by Tim W on 16 January, 2019 at 12:06 PM

Poverty is a good one Temp, and a big omission, thanks for the suggestion. Although there is a whole debate over whether one can actually be 'poor' in a developed country. (That comment informed by the fact that I've spent too much time off the tourist track in places in the world where there is real poverty, not just relative poverty...). And, can it be attributed to other of the 'things' already on the list?

Tim - Wikipedia defines 'Philistinism' as,'In the fields of philosophy and æsthetics, the derogatory term philistinism describes “the manners, habits, and character, or mode of thinking of a philistine”, manifested as an anti-intellectual social attitude that undervalues and despises art and beauty, intellect and spirituality." Whilst I think I know what you are alluding to, I don't think I'd want it in my list. But I may not be getting your drift there and you may have meant it in a totally tongue-in-cheek way?

Posted by Blue Witch on 16 January, 2019 at 5:06 PM

I'm thankful that my mother never commented if I couldn't finish a plateful. I had a tiny appetite, but wasn't fussy at all.

Posted by Z on 16 January, 2019 at 10:16 PM