Comments: And so beginneth a new era...

I often wondered how a country like America finished up with someone like Trump. So wrong and so bad in so many ways, and now we have done it too.
When is the last time we had a prime minister where even they were not sure how many children they have?

Posted by Mr BW on 23 July, 2019 at 3:56 PM

I've also wondered how we ended up with someone like Trump. I can understand us having empowered idiots, usually a self-correcting situation. But if it doesn't self-correct and infests the rest of the world then I just don't know what to think, other than I am now, officially, a minority.

Posted by Scoakat on 23 July, 2019 at 11:23 PM

Watching BBC Breakfast this morning, I'm amused to hear the 'background shouter' behind reporting from Parliament Square has changed his cry from "Stop Brexit!" to "Bollocks to Boris!"

How he has been allowed to stay there for so long, and how he is able to be there for so many months, intrigues me.

Posted by Blue Witch on 24 July, 2019 at 8:10 AM

I thought Boris' first speech outside No.10 was quite inspirational. You might even say Churchillian.

IMHO, we could do with politicians who know where they want to go and who are not going to let themselves be hamstrung by the PC crowd who seem to think that their opinions are the only ones that count because they are the only ones who are right.

I look forward to a country where all the de Pfeffel you mention is perfectly acceptable if you choose to adopt it. And as to teflonery, wrong statistics and little regard for hard facts - now where on earth would we have seen that before?

Posted by Temp on 25 July, 2019 at 3:50 PM

We can leave the EU whenever we want. What we can't do is leave with all the benefits that people like Johnson promised us. So I think it's great that he's PM and has to take responsibility for his actions. And yes, I'm one of those 'stupid' people who liberals laugh at because I voted to leave. Boy do I regret it now. More fool me for believing all the lies. Maybe I should have paid more attention, but I spend much of my time and effort looking after my family who I love more than anything. Although I felt it was my responsibility to vote, I didn't want a referendum in the first place as I expect the politicians we vote for to look after the details. In any case, I don't always feel so bad when I look at some of them. Esther McVey clearly didn't know what the single market is, Dominic Raab didn't know that the Dover Calais route was important, and our current PM didn't know that the IOM isn't in the EU. At least I'm in good company.

Posted by TC on 27 July, 2019 at 7:19 PM

I didn't buy a pig in a poke, but that's what the (small) majority voted for and that's what we now have. I envy Russell, for having died before any of this fiasco took place.

Posted by Z on 27 July, 2019 at 10:06 PM