Comments: The Wednesday Question

I thought they had one and he won? So there can't be another for some time.

Posted by Debster on 28 August, 2019 at 1:51 PM

That was the middle of 2016 though... the (dreadful) Wikipedia page suggests complexity... about half way down there is some info.

It's probably all immaterial now anyway.

I've got another question now... what is the difference between what the Chinese government is doing to Hong Kong and what Trump Lite is doing (hopefully 'intending to do') over here?

Will MPs get paid while they are 'laid off'? If a company didn't require its workers in such circumstances, they wouldn't get paid.

Posted by Blue Witch on 28 August, 2019 at 4:48 PM

And this is a timely summary of the future options.

Posted by Blue Witch on 28 August, 2019 at 4:59 PM

Apologies, I haven't taken the time to fully understand the politics over there, and I like to play ignorant of ours here, but your last sentence could very well be said here:

"Lack of a proper Opposition for the past x years is what has brought us to where we are now."

Our Democrats have lost charismatic and effective leaders anymore and the Republicans have become ruthless, saying or twisting anything to justify their means and appeal to the masses of sheep. Hello, Mr Reality TV President.

And we still take it, we still accept it. Not only that, but he may get re-elected, that's how blind we are now. And it seems to be spreading. It's a very different society now than it was even 30 or 40 years ago. We're losing our humanity, not to mention our dignity.

This is the most political I've ever gotten online, BW, remind me not to do this again. :)

Posted by Scoakat on 28 August, 2019 at 10:59 PM

Blue Star Scoakat, Blue Star :)

Where the US leads, Britain follows. It used to take a few years, now it's just months. Ah, Globalisation.

At least when China and Russia take over the world, we'll all know exactly where we stand... ah, yes, rather like is being done to us by our 'leaders' currently. *shakes head in dismay*

Posted by Blue Witch on 29 August, 2019 at 9:06 AM

And, for an easy-to-understand 100 or 500 word summary of what is currently happening... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-49495757?

Posted by Blue Witch on 29 August, 2019 at 9:15 AM

Yes, exactly. But some of my online friends are frantic Corbyn supporters and they seem to see him as a Messiah and will not take any pragmatic, common sense alternative. It's absolutely bemusing.

Posted by Z on 30 August, 2019 at 9:15 PM

Similar happens over here, Z.

Thanks, BW, I read all 600, and more now, but not enough to feel confident that I have a strong opinion. Brexit has been around so long now it almost falls on deaf ears over here.

Posted by Scoakat on 30 August, 2019 at 10:22 PM

Ah, the antics of the champagne socialists.

Amusement/bemusement factor only bettered by the wealthy over 75s justifying to/amongst themselves why they should not lose their free TV licences.

Posted by Blue Witch on 30 August, 2019 at 11:14 PM

Having met the esteemed Jezza a couple of years ago and knowing of his politics as I grew up in Haringey plus my youthful foray into left wing politics, he is dreadful. It is all such a mess and we, the people, have elected poltroons, gobshites and wastrels to portions of power.
Sadly, the extremists on all sides are noisily leading us into a pit of horrors.
I trust Boris as far as I could throw him. We need a complete revamp of politics with proportional representation, a proper elected second chamber, an end to the main parties and a move from London centric politics and decision making. A federal UK might also help and dare I say it, Ulster united back with the rest of Ireland. Although the latter I have always believed in emotionally although rationally I know it would be messy.

Posted by delcatto on 31 August, 2019 at 6:09 PM