Comments: Everything I know I learned from a book

The Passmore Edwards library buildings are testament to the significance of them in years gone by (and, was there ever a better instance of nominative determinism?)

Mind you, I'm not entirely convinced that the change of emphasis isn't just symptomatic. bring back as many libraries as you like, it won't make a difference unless they are used.

Posted by Ham on 3 December, 2019 at 4:57 PM

We still have a local library and I borrow books regularly. There are about a quarter of the books on the shelves that there used to be and there's a big section in the vestibule with books for sale, most of which are donated and brand new. I always give books for Christmas, at least a dozen of them.

Posted by Z on 3 December, 2019 at 10:25 PM

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2016/04/04/passmore-edwards-libraries-in-the-east-end/ for anyone interested in finding out more about what Ham mentions.

Posted by Blue Witch on 4 December, 2019 at 8:02 AM

I too love books. And I love libraries. The opening ours in our locals have been cut back, but they are still there. However rather less populated with books these days than they used to be. And the visitors seem to be using their laptops more than reading books.

Posted by Tim W on 4 December, 2019 at 4:53 PM

When I was young I enjoyed the city library and my school library very much, even being a volunteer at both at times. Then I became an adult with other distractions, and then internet came along. I've not visited one in seemingly forever now, except for other things like voting or other non-book services.

Still, I feel the library should be an important part of kids upbringing - but times have changed since 40-odd years ago. I want them to still be relevant, but we didn't have kids so I do feel out of touch with what is happening there these days.

Is it now only adults that like the idea of a library being there or do kids still use them like they used to? I can't answer that.

Posted by Scoakat on 4 December, 2019 at 10:51 PM

I'm guilty of no longer using libraries although I encourage patients on my caseload to use libraries for all sorts of reasons. i certainly have very fond memories of using my local library as a child and for me it was a life saver.
Locally, they have been cut with significantly reduced hours and services.

Posted by delcatto on 6 December, 2019 at 9:50 PM