Comments: Things that are occupying my mind

OMG you are supposed to do all that housework??? *thinks about having a quick scurryfunge with the WD40 but thinks better of it*

We had one night of rain but that's it. I don't know whether I picked the right time to have the lawn reseeded - I'm here all day every day to water it, but it needs watering ...

Looks like a regular pied wagtail to me. They are my favourite bird. I think there's a bit of variation same as with those moths you learn about at school that get darker in sooty places.

Five minutes with a hacksaw will remove those trees for you.

Applying the same mathematical genetic thing that tells you how long ago we diverged from neanderthals, apparently the first appearance of this thing should have been around September. Everyone in Dorset reckons they got it in December so that would fit.

And if you are worried about cooking with electricity, use my method. Everything goes into the microwave or I have it raw.

Posted by Debster on 21 April, 2020 at 7:40 PM

14. We got rid of our gas hob a few years back in favour of an induction model. It's fabulous, and we wouldn't go back to anything else. Always had electric ovens (with e.g. timers, an automatic meat thermometer, etc.) and microwave. Also cheap to run on solar power!

Posted by Tim W. on 22 April, 2020 at 8:18 AM

Debster - Mr BW has his Stihl chainsaw up here. 3 dead/dying trees and several overgrown neglected woody shrubs have already been felled. 3 new blades have been procured from the internet. And, a clean Numberland pied wagtail. I like that!

Tim - the electric hob is ceramic and ageing. I got a whole heaped teaspoon of crud out from around the edges with 4 cotton buds and a lot of bleach. Watch out not to let anyone with a pacemaker near an induction hob. One of my Patchy Ladies got an induction hob and her husband's pacemaker nearly killed him. Luckily his consultant correctly guessed what the problem was.

Posted by Blue Witch on 22 April, 2020 at 9:58 AM

Can't give you a definitive answer about the bees/wasps, but you might find Dave Goulson's books of interest - A Sting in the Tale is all about bumblebees and he has two more about current state/human effect on general bug life.

Your new place sounds idyllic - apart from all the bits that aren't :-)

Posted by Sue on 22 April, 2020 at 12:21 PM

Sue - thanks, yes, we've read them. I remember those workmen you had when you moved... I think they've worked on this house in the past too. The difference being that you realised they weren't doing a good job, but the people who employed them here didn't...

Posted by Blue Witch on 22 April, 2020 at 8:35 PM

Somewhere, I still have a children's book called "Why are there more questions than answers, Grandad?"

Posted by Z on 24 April, 2020 at 9:33 PM