Comments: May Day, May Day, May Day

Well I've been...oh yes you already know.

I now have dust in crevices I didn't know I had. Luckily I brought all my own PPE with me so am masked, eye and ear protected.

Now, where is my hammer and chisel, I spot some more loose plaster...

Posted by Mr BW on 1 May, 2020 at 8:06 PM

Even as I tire of all those home improvement shows on tv I'm loving your updates on Coven North. Mr BW, I know being stuck at home can be frustrating but try not to get so plastered all the time! ;) Sorry, had to say it.

Posted by Scoakat on 1 May, 2020 at 9:20 PM

Oh, as for what I've been doing? Not much, working mostly. Haven't left my house in 35 days now, but I may venture out to some shops tomorrow. I'm hearing it's a much different world out there...

Posted by Scoakat on 1 May, 2020 at 9:25 PM

I’ve baked parsnip and carrot cake with BW honey topping, lemon meringue pie and lemon curd muffins with home made lemon curd. I’ve knit a few rows on latest shawl, read some of my latest book. (Glennie Kindred’s Letting in the wild edges, )watered my tomatoes and Now enjoying a glass of red wine. Beltane blessings to you both.

Posted by Ambermoggie on 1 May, 2020 at 10:01 PM

mmmm parsnip and carrot cake, sounds lovely.Is there a recipe as we seem to have quite a few parsnips at the moment?

Posted by Mr BW on 2 May, 2020 at 8:28 AM

Some people seem to have gone completely obsessively bonkers about attempting to disinfect mail - I've read of UV torches etc.! It’s worth remembering that mail such as credit card and bank statements, and most letters from big organizations, will be printed and mailed automatically by a machine. So whilst the envelope has a tiny risk of being infected by someone who’s handled it during its journey to the recipient, the innards have not. There are far bigger risks in daily life, such as crossing the road (or not, at the moment!)

Posted by Tim W. on 2 May, 2020 at 10:57 AM

Tim - yes, and it often seems to be the same people who are quite happy to go out regularly to shops etc. Did these people never study biology at school? Or do they just not understand how viruses work?

Posted by Blue Witch on 2 May, 2020 at 11:51 AM

Yes - banging off plaster is very satisfying. I spent much of last summer doing just that when I found a large damp patch on one of the walls. But I used a professional to put the plaster back on again,though.

However, there is still a patch of plaster waiting for attention. It has been waiting there for over thirty years, and I am still afraid to take it off because I am afraid of what I might find underneath. That's the trouble with old timber houses.

My Wife has been re-discovering how to make her own yeast, and with great success. And the local girls' group of over seventies has sent round some dingbats to keep us amused.

The 'clap for NHS' events has been a great chance to shout across the road to exchange news.

Posted by Temp on 2 May, 2020 at 1:06 PM

I wonder when that yellow was from....we found exactly the same shade in what used to be the kitchen here. FWIW our house was only built in 1985.

Posted by NiC on 4 May, 2020 at 6:46 AM