Comments: "The test is in the post": AKA "Of lies and men"

You’ve eloquently put all my annoyance into words! The 120k was an utter disgrace.

Posted by NLW on 2 May, 2020 at 4:35 PM

"Do they truly believe we are all so stupid as to not understand the real numbers?"
I refer the honourable gentleman to the Brexit vote.

Posted by Tim W. on 2 May, 2020 at 5:20 PM

But Tim, that's the point. Brexit wasn't voted for on numbers. That's why they didn't need to use £350m. By using it, the leave vote just gave the Remain vote something to hang around the necks of Leavers to call them stupid. Meanwhile the Leavers just ignored it as not being the reason they were voting leave anyway.

For many (I won't proclaim to talk for all), we voted on control, in the full knowledge that they forecast the economy would grow less than were we to remain in. If I recall, they forecast that over 15 years the economy would grow by a few percent less than had we remained, but it would still grow significantly. A statistically 'acceptable margin of error' difference for 15 years ahead.

The Brexit numbers on both sides were skewed and messed with, but yes I believe we all saw through them all, as we are seeing through these Coronavirus numbers today.

As I said, they just haven't understood that we actually do understand, and that takes us right back to Cameron's belief that we would all simply vote to remain because he said we should.

Ah, a good Brexit debate, how we have missed those...

Posted by Mr BW on 2 May, 2020 at 7:12 PM

Very well. I'll take the bait. You say: "Now, why did they lie/mislead/misquote/bullshit us?"

What they did was to set a very high target - unrealistically high, as most people realised at the time. The difficulties of resolving a problem as enormous as this must never be under-estimated.

But do they get any praise or encouragement from you for getting so much done, and getting so close to reaching an almost impossible goal? It is not just the ministerial face on the box who is responsible - he is the mouthpiece, but he can only do so much. There are thousands of others with the same aims and ideals, all pushing on the same door to get it open. Don't try to tell me they are all idiots trying to deceive the public, even if the spin doctors seem to be getting too much of a say. It is no worse than two boxers each saying of course he will win - you know it cannot be and yet you do not call it lying or even bullshitting.

Btw,there is a good article referred to in the Lost Cousins newsletter (on the Lost Cousins website, which is free) explaining how the causes of death are difficult to put on a death certificate because there is a standard world wide way of doing such things, and to record the cause of death in any other way would mean than the statistics cannot then be relied upon. The newsletter is updated every few days, so if the article has gone, it has probably been replaced by something more recent. Sorry I cannot manage a link.

And yes - I do agree with most of what you say, Mr.BW. But in two days' time, when the tests have been done, is he still going to be appear so stupid? It might be that the people who decry setting targets and trying to keep spirits up have missed the point of the matter instead.

Posted by Temp on 3 May, 2020 at 6:20 PM

I note that the sudden increase of 'go for the biggest numbers' bullshit coincides with the return of the PM to everyday government. Presumably egged on by Dominic Cummings?

Ok, so his girlfriend's just had a baby. Aaah!

Now let's try the good ol' 'Mushroom treatment' on them all!

Posted by Sharon on 4 May, 2020 at 1:39 AM

Good post Mr.Witchy.

Posted by NiC on 4 May, 2020 at 6:45 AM

go for the biggest numbers

his girlfriend's just had a baby

I wonder if the above two statements are connected in some way?

Posted by Tim W. on 4 May, 2020 at 8:58 AM

Sharon - ah yes, good point, the DC effect.

Tim - I haven't given out a MBWLA for a long long time :)

Posted by Blue Witch on 4 May, 2020 at 9:01 AM

Temp
I understand and agree with what you say about the hardworking souls.

It is my respect for the hardworking people behind the headlines, who are working xx hours a day to get tests carried out, and my frustration that the Govt has done lots right, and yet throws all the goodwill away, that leads to my words.

Oh, and for what it is worth I believe they are now achieving about 2/3 to 3/4 of the 100,000, which makes their 'target achieved' claim for 120,000 look even more stupid to have made.

I have the utmost respect for everyone caring, helping or working towards helping the community through testing, teaching critical workers children, working on a vaccine etc. But I have no respect for the spokesman who then stands up and lies about what these hardworking souls have achieved, because it isn't good enough for them, their newspaper headlines, or their false publicity target.

Posted by Mr BW on 4 May, 2020 at 10:36 PM

Oh and of course this fudged number now means that they are stuck with using this new definition.

So the 75,000 odd daily number now reported is still 'tests provided or delivered', ie tests sent out from central stores to homes or test centres ready to be used, not tests actually processed in labs.

So now we have no idea at all how many tests are being done. Madness when it is stated by Government as such an important part of the lockdown release.

...I'll stop now...