Comments: You cannot rewrite history 2

Absolutely spot on, BW. Particularly the last sentence!

Posted by Tim W on 12 June, 2020 at 11:51 AM

I'm angry about the fate of the Baden-Powell statue (eg https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53004638).

Scouting is a great movement, which has been the salvation of many, many, disillusioned and disadvataged youngsters I have worked with over the years.

To now say to those youngsters, "Some in the BAME community feel your founder was racist etc etc and doesn't deserve recognition, so we have demanded the statue is removed, so it is being!" just does not sit well with me.

Equal opportunities? Hmmm, some are more equal than others, to misquote George Orwell.

I fear it is just feeding the Tommy Robinson brigade, which is equally frustrating.

Posted by Blue Witch on 12 June, 2020 at 12:48 PM

It's worth noting that the Baden-Powell statue was only added to Poole quayside in 2007, rather than being a long-standing memorial.

That's a heck of a change in social attitudes in just 13 years... or just a lot of angry people who weren't paying attention at the time.

Posted by diamond geezer on 12 June, 2020 at 4:21 PM

Exactly DG.

Similarly the recent re-siting of the Milligan statue you referenced in your original post.

Lots of bandwagon jumpers.

Lots of councils acting too fast, without proper reflection or the required due process and consultation, because of the fear of civil unrest and civil disobedience. We can't have the currently newly ungainfully employed rioting now can we?

And what message has this now sent to the protestors? Talk about reinforcing bad behaviour.

I wonder how many of these protestors or councils acting immediately (whereas on other matters, arguably of more importance, due process often takes years) actually have any real knowledge/understanding of British history, and how attitudes and acceptabilities have changed over time (and the reasons *why* lasting and genuine change takes time, and must include the building of trust and shared understandings)?

Posted by Blue Witch on 12 June, 2020 at 4:53 PM

Kneejerk actions by legislators seldom lead to good, and often have unintended consequences.
Your mention of "due process and consultation" reminded me of this which I read recently: www.davidallengreen.com/2020/06/why-we-should-be-worried-about-the-use-and-abuse-of-statutory-instruments/

Posted by Tim W on 13 June, 2020 at 7:21 AM

Yes Tim, a worrying trend by an arrogant government with a large majority (and the excessive use of Whipped votes, even when opportunities for Parliamentary scrutiny are given). I am sure that we can look forward to much more of the same in the near future.

Ongoing 'official' interference with fundamental human rights and freedoms is going to lead to a lot more conflict in our society.

And with the economy falling 20% in just one month, and a huge number of people about to be made unexpectedly unemployed, I dread to think where all this is leading.

Posted by Blue Witch on 13 June, 2020 at 8:14 AM

"As I see it, the current situation has set back cultural cohesion and harmony in this country by many, many years.."

I have to agree with you there, BW. Having these protesters shove their questionable arguments in yer face is not going to improve relations in any way at all.

One small gain is that we can now use the description 'Black' again, instead of that awful 'persons of colo(u)r.' If they use this word on virtually all their posters and placards, then it cannot be so offensive after all.

But I do object to my culture and history being attacked by people who must think that it is not theirs and therefore they do not like it.

Posted by Temp on 13 June, 2020 at 11:19 PM

Let's not mention the disappearance 'in the name of political correctness' of some of our well-loved classic TV programmes Temp.

Oh dear, I mentioned it once, perhaps I'll get away with it...

Posted by Blue Witch on 14 June, 2020 at 10:13 AM