Comments: Many Happy Returns

Depending on your email provider and/or client program, you can usually set a rule to auto-delete this junk before you see it.

Posted by Tim W on 15 June, 2020 at 10:22 AM

Tim - what I want to do is stop them sending spam using my email address (spoofed, in place of their own). But, on the positive side... I've learnt lots of ways to swear and/or send death threats in Italian - it's amazing how many people reply to spam not realising it won't get to the spammer, but to the poor person whose e-address is being spoofed.

Posted by Blue Witch on 15 June, 2020 at 11:02 AM

Does Leylandii burn well? If so a stock of some wood for the woodturner over winter.

Posted by delcatto on 15 June, 2020 at 12:19 PM

I did a search and apparently if it is well seasoned it does burn well.

Posted by delcatto on 15 June, 2020 at 12:21 PM

Happy 3,000 weeks!

Yes, Leylandii does burn well if seasoned but it burns very quickly and you don't get much heat from it.....we had a few to take down when we first got here. Most fast burning woods also produce a lot of soot so you would want to mix it in with other woods.

Posted by NiC on 15 June, 2020 at 1:03 PM

At least there will be a benefit when we get the things down (Mr BW has his chainsaw at the ready for August when the nesting season ends and one is allowed to remove established hedges, but whether we tractor-pull the stumps out, or stump grind them out is not yet clear)! Thanks delcatto and NiC.

Now, what about the chipped up brushwood - any good as a mulch, once composted down a bit? Or too acidic?

Posted by Blue Witch on 15 June, 2020 at 3:17 PM

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=979 This might help BW.

Posted by delcatto on 15 June, 2020 at 4:24 PM

We didn't have a big enough chipper when we took our Leylandii down so can't answer from experience. We just used it for dead hedging. If we had some more I'd probably try to mix it up with other chippings in case of acidity problems unless you're planning a rhododendron corner....

Posted by NiC on 15 June, 2020 at 7:17 PM

Congratulations.

Posted by Z on 15 June, 2020 at 8:54 PM

Thanks delcatto - that nicely clarified for me the timescales before various types of chippings can be used. They were much shorter than I'd always thought!

NiC - azaleas and magnolias are growing here already - but my pH meter tells me the soil is absollutely neutral. Which is very odd.

Posted by Blue Witch on 17 June, 2020 at 1:54 PM

My 3,000 weeks doesn't happen 'til just before this time in 2029...

Posted by Lyle on 17 June, 2020 at 7:09 PM

I've got heather growing on chalk. Some plants are less fussy than you think

Posted by Debster on 20 June, 2020 at 2:26 PM