Comments: Seemingly Normal for Numberland? But Elsewhere?

I'd be leery, too, but I'm a city boy and haven't seen these kind of practices in a long time. CYA, donchaknow.

Posted by Scoakat on 25 June, 2020 at 8:29 PM

I have to confess that we don't often ask for quotes, and I don't remember the last time I put a job "out to tender". I try and find a trusted tradesman - frequently recommended by family, friends, or previous trusted trader - and trust that they'll do a good job and won't rip me off. Haven't been let down yet.
I. B. Gullible

Posted by Tim W on 26 June, 2020 at 11:47 AM

Mostly trusted tradesmen here, but if we need a quote it's given on headed notepaper. I pay straight into the bank account on receipt of the invoice and no one asks for cash.

For work in London, I get quotes in advance and am usually asked for a deposit. So it looks like a countryside, whether northern or not, special.

Posted by Z on 26 June, 2020 at 9:12 PM

Having now contacted someone recommended to us on the morning of lockdown day, whose details we had misplaced, things may be looking up, for woodburner fitting and other recomendations. He hails from about 20 miles from Coven Sud, is married to a local girl, has lived up here for the past 10 years, and appreciated our problems.

Posted by Blue Witch on 28 June, 2020 at 8:34 PM

Always got quotes in London but here we use recommendations from trusted friends. There's fewer tradesmen up here however there's little evidence of the shoddy fly by night tradespeople you'd get south of Watford.

Posted by David on 30 June, 2020 at 1:23 AM

Our Southern woodburner fitter has told us that, up here, builders are either really good or really bad, and there is not the 'average middle' that one gets down south. Now, how to avoid the really bad ones?

Posted by Blue Witch on 30 June, 2020 at 6:42 AM