Comments: Black on Blue Crime

What a shame. Maybe some heat resistant enamel paint will assist in due course...

Posted by Tim W on 8 July, 2020 at 11:58 AM

Maybe some overhead lighting and blue accents as you mentioned will help.

It's certainly a different kind of range than I've ever seen, but interesting.

Posted by Scoakat on 8 July, 2020 at 10:32 PM

Unrelated but did you know that I once sailed from Luxor to Aswan on a felucca and visited the Aga Khans Mausoleum? Every time I see these middle class cookers I'm reminded of going to the loo over the side of a small wooden boat while women washed things on the river bank.

Posted by David Matthews on 9 July, 2020 at 10:02 AM

Yes, must be the light - looks blue to me in the first photo and black in the other two.
Hope all goes well flue-wise.
Sue

Posted by Sue on 9 July, 2020 at 10:22 AM

Looks Blue to me.
It looks black in the 2nd and third photos because they're under-exposed due to the way camera auto-metering systems work....maybe your eyes work the same way Witchy. In which case don't ever put it out in a snow storm!

Posted by NiC on 9 July, 2020 at 5:43 PM

I admit that I do not like any of these iron monsters at all. Why should one have to heat up several hundredweight of cast iron just to get a tank of hot water or to cook a pan of beans?

In the summer they make the kitchen too hot, and in the winter they smell of oil.

But my Wife loves her Stanley. However, we are about to 'downsize,' and the new water otter fits neatly in a kitchen wall cabinet. That makes more sense to me! It should cost a lot less to run as well.

Posted by Temp on 9 July, 2020 at 10:19 PM

I had one and got rid of it.

Posted by Debster on 9 July, 2020 at 10:39 PM

Once you've had and loved an Aga you'd never be without one. This is my 4th (I've only owned 2 of them).

When you live in an old house, an Aga provides constant background warmth, that warms the very fabric of the house, so saves you putting on the heating much of the time. When the heating can only be electric, oil or LPG, an Aga is a good bet.

Our one at Coven Sud means we only have to put on the heating between November and February.

Up here, with a 300+ year old stone house that has been allowed to get quite damp, we expect it to be even more useful. With the insulated inner walls we are installing, it should be able to stop the black mould that was prevalent ever coming back.

Plus, their uses for instant cooking, drying, dehydrating, comforting, caring for sick animals etc etc are immeasurable. You don't ever need a tumble dryer, or suffer from wet washing hanging around causing dampness when you have a Aga!

I wouldn't put one in a new house, or buy one of the new 'Total Control' ones, though as they don't have any of the benefits. Once the lump of cast iron is hot, it stays hot. If it smells of oil, there's something wrong with the system!

This one isn't heating the hot water as the logisitcs didn't work.

Posted by Blue Witch on 10 July, 2020 at 9:16 AM

Dave - Aga Khan is what Mrs Old Friend BW always called her Agas!

NiC - that's a very interesting thought. The photos from the camera are exactly how I perceive it, so you could be right. I'm a machine not a human!

That said, it is shiny now it has heated up, and it is now only black from lunchtime until it gets dark. I've just found a really good idea to provide more light too, so there is hope that it could appear blue all the time once we do the kitchen.

Posted by Blue Witch on 10 July, 2020 at 9:20 AM

Blue then black depending on the light.
They remind me of the old ranges seen in Ireland in various homes and I have an image now of my maternal granny cleaning it out and serving up porridge cooked from the night before. The smell of turf burning always brings me back.

Posted by delcatto on 12 July, 2020 at 10:28 AM

My first (in a cottage I didn't own) was a solid fuel one delcatto. It needed more care than a baby! Awful.

Overnight porridge, cooked in the bottom (cooler) oven, is lovely.

Now it's been up to temperature for several days, it is shinier and blue more of the time. Luckily.

Posted by Blue Witch on 12 July, 2020 at 8:18 PM

I guess it's a bit like that photo of that dress that people saw in different colours. But to accurately represent the colour in a photo the white balance needs to be set.

Of course, no one knows how other people perceive colours at all.

Posted by Ian on 19 July, 2020 at 8:35 AM