Comments: We're all going on a summer holiday

If she's anything like my 80 year old mother she'll be over the moon with any service station with a Greggs.

Posted by David Matthews on 6 August, 2020 at 12:06 PM

Ah, so your love of Greggs is genetic, Dave :)

No, we'll only be using the toilets. We always take a flask, water, and food. The less risk the better.

Posted by Blue Witch on 6 August, 2020 at 2:05 PM

I loathe motorway service stations, and tend to use www.justoffjunction.co.uk for finding suitable alternative places without too much detour. If you just want a loo, supermarkets are often a good choice.
Incidentally, even if you know a route backwards, I always use Waze. It's excellent at picking up info about forthcoming traffic jams, and immediately providing appropriate re-routing directions if time-effective. I have occasionally missed hours-long tailbacks on the M11 when travelling back from London to Norfolk, and been treated instead to an interesting tour of rural Essex-Suffolk-Cambridgeshire etc!

Posted by Tim W on 6 August, 2020 at 4:29 PM

As a note to other commenters, I have discovered that if you include a forward slash in your comment, it won't post! Instead you get some unrelated error message about a defining a template.

Posted by Tim W on 6 August, 2020 at 4:31 PM

Ssssh, don't tell the spammers Tim! Actually, I thought it was the presence of URLs not just slashes, so you know more than I do.

Thanks for the links - and supermarkets are definitely a good idea for loos, I hadn't thought of that, never having had this problem before.

Posted by Blue Witch on 6 August, 2020 at 5:14 PM

Knowing that entire route *far* more than I should (although I don't stop often) I'd say the OK ones are :

- Watford Gap
- Leicester Forest
- Tibshelf
- Woodall
- Wetherby is OK (although the entire parking system is a ball-ache, and appears to be utterly beyond a good 90% of the users) Personally I hate it, but it's OK.

I'd avoid :
- Newport Pagnell
- Northampton/Oxford (the A34 junction)
- Trowell

After those, I don't know - Wetherby is always my last place for a stop before I get to Newcastle (which has admittedly led to a couple of close calls by the time I get to my destination...)

A fairly decent list is here : https://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/M1

Posted by Lyle on 6 August, 2020 at 10:33 PM

Thanks Lyle, I was hoping you might stray by :)

Posted by Blue Witch on 7 August, 2020 at 6:38 AM

You might want to check supermarket loos are actually open before visiting.
They certainly weren't in the earlier days of the Covid crisis and still aren't, I understand, in many shops.

Posted by NiC on 7 August, 2020 at 6:59 AM

Well yeah, I try to be of use - but that journey from MK to Newcastle is one I can do in one (four-hour) go, so I'm not quite the services connoisseur I could be.

One other thing I would say - the junction where the M1 heads round Leeds while also splitting onto the M621 (J43) is an absolute bastard, and always filled with idiots who can't read signs 'til the last possible second. Approach with caution.

Pretty much the entire rest of it is easy, but that little junction is one where I've had several close calls with last-minute lane-changers.

Posted by Lyle on 7 August, 2020 at 10:21 AM