Comments: A third thrilling daily episode of BW is solo at Coven North

Quiet day yesterday? :-)

Posted by NLW on 17 September, 2020 at 9:09 AM

This is reminding me why I moved into a house which didn't need anything done.

Posted by Debster on 17 September, 2020 at 9:41 AM

I've owned 2 brand new houses in the past Debster. Soul-less, and getting the builders to do the snagging took all my spells.

Coven Sud is nearly 100 now, and had only redecorating to do when we moved in, as it was structurally sound. We were spoilt.

This house, probably at least 400 years old, needs a lot more done than either we or the full structural surveyor thought.

But, you don't get houses in perfect locations that are perfect. We wanted a 'project', and, in a way, it's better that it's turned out to be bigger than we thought as we can now get it exactly how we want it.

Thank goodness for lockdown though, and continuing cancellation of our southern commitments, as we'd never have managed to do what turned out to need getting done on a 'one week in three' up here basis.

Posted by Blue Witch on 17 September, 2020 at 9:51 AM

There are of course 700 reasons not to buy a new house:

...apart from the fact that it will be on an estate etc etc.

It is an adventure, and a stressful one, working with a 300+ year old house which has been neglected in recent years, but we know that we shall finish up with a house fit to last us out, and then some.

Our standards are our weakness and our strength if you know what I mean, we just won't stand for anything other than the best with contractors.

We are definitely getting there, and faster than we had originally thought possible. Now all we need is another Northern lockdown so that we can focus on the next stage...oh...

Posted by Mr BW on 17 September, 2020 at 4:25 PM

Yuck, why do men have to do that? It’s never women who just pee and go is it? Lockdown Mr BW? You got it. All of Lancashire going into lockdown. Except certain areas of Blackpool apparently. Could that be because of the illuminations. The extended illuminations this year? Follow the money as the saying goes.

Posted by Ambermoggie on 17 September, 2020 at 9:25 PM

This is a hundred years old but has been extensively and weirdly done up b Bloody Stupid Johnson. It has meant living with a colour scheme I wouldn't have chosen but actually like. Did get rid of the aga though.

Posted by Debster on 18 September, 2020 at 6:01 AM

What was the guest post btw?

Posted by Debster on 18 September, 2020 at 6:03 AM

You got rid of the AGA Debster, that's crazy talk :)

Posted by Mr BW on 18 September, 2020 at 6:49 AM

Debster - I can't remember exactly (and I don't thiink Dave can either) but the guest post was a piss-take of the sort of things we do, full of astute observations and written in an enhanced BW stylee. It was very very cleverly done.

I'm not sure that I can find it again as the archives can only be accessed via the CMS now as the software is so decrepit. So we'll all have to hope he can be persuaded to do another version :)

Posted by Blue Witch on 18 September, 2020 at 7:20 AM

I wanted a proper cooker with knobs

Posted by Debster on 19 September, 2020 at 12:05 AM

You're not the only reader of this blog who inherited an Aga / Rayburn who killed it shortly afterwards, Debster.

Posted by Blue Witch on 20 September, 2020 at 12:53 PM

I wish I could remember the post you're talking about. Thank you for a lovely afternoon last week.

Posted by Dave on 26 September, 2020 at 12:09 PM