Comments: Murdering the children, one by one, as they're old enough

"Raddle" - there's a word I hadn't come across before!
In other news, I remember stoozing with the best of 'em.

Posted by Tim W on 19 October, 2020 at 7:56 AM

Ah stoozing, those were the days Tim! Happy memories of money for nothing/taking candy from babies.

My greatest achievement was having £65K of HSBC group credit card money (at 0%, no money transfer fee) offsetting against a first direct (HSBC group) offset mortgage for 18 months.

At one point around 2005 we had £175K of borrowed money on 0% interest credit cards offsetting in various high-interest savings accounts. I am happy to say that I didn't slip up once. Now there are rarely 0% offers for anything above 12 months with a 3.5% or 4% up-front fee, so that game is well and truly over. Thankfully in a way (because it took a lot of work not to slip up and to keep abreast of the Ts&Cs), but sadly in another (because it was a means of improving our life).

Posted by Blue Witch on 19 October, 2020 at 8:56 AM

I didn't know I knew the word 'raddle' either. It popped into my mind the other day - it must have been buried deep in my memory from my time (1980s) living deep in the farming community in the west country.

Posted by Blue Witch on 19 October, 2020 at 9:01 AM

I must admit that I am somewhat amused at the suggestion that you could do rather better at the rams' job than the rams themselves. It goes to show the unexpected benefits of a higher education, does it not? If they chose a witchy blue colour next time you may take a different view.

It also shows that all sheep are not alike, even though they are all girls. Rams must have the right to discriminate! There's a feminist angle in there somewhere.

Your post also brings out the anti-arborealist in me. I would gladly murder our pretty little silver birch which appeared uninvited in our front hedge, but which cannot now be removed because we are in a conservation area. In fact, come to think of it, every tree which has ever appeared here has mysteriously disappeared again after a while! People forget just how much the damn things grow. I can see, though, you are trying to cover up the electricity pole and no doubt it will do a good job of that.

Cheers,

Temp.

Posted by Temp on 19 October, 2020 at 3:03 PM

@Temp: Far be it from me to collude in an illicit act, but there are many ways to "naturally" cause a tree to disappear...

Posted by Tim W on 19 October, 2020 at 5:36 PM

Temp - I want some of whatever you are on!!! No idea what you mean, but no feminist angle that I can see... ewes are only attractive to rams at certain points in their oestrus cycles.

You may live in a conservation area but you can still legally remove trees if you apply to the local authority. It's like a shortened planning application, but there is no charge to submit it. I doubt that a silver birch that has appeared as you suggest will be considered a species that should be protected as they are comparatively short lived and unlikely to be considered an important feature in the street scene. But you probably know that.

Posted by Blue Witch on 19 October, 2020 at 8:01 PM

There's a rather lovely pub here called the Blue Radlle. How does one make large trees disappear? Asking for a friend ...

Posted by Debster on 19 October, 2020 at 11:50 PM

The colour will be changed later. It is just to tell the farmer when to expect the lambs to be born, not to identify the rampant father.

Posted by popartist on 20 October, 2020 at 12:25 AM

popartist - the farmer behind us has many more ewes than Farmer Friend BW a few miles away (who uses one colour per ram), so I think you could be right. I shall report back!

Posted by Blue Witch on 20 October, 2020 at 7:25 AM