Comments: No snow, no sense, and some questions

I always get mine from PC Specialist. Lucky you having snow.

Posted by Debster on 12 January, 2021 at 1:34 AM

In answer to your final question, part of the rain is because 5 years ago, that storage would have been cheap disk based whereas as now most laptops will come with relatively expensive, but much faster smaller and lighter, solid state storage, the price of which will be largely dictated by the chips, and hence linear.

Additionally, next to no components will be British made, so you can add on a preference for the devaluation of sterling thanks to brexit.

Posted by Ian on 12 January, 2021 at 7:56 AM

Debster - useful link, thanks, I didn't know of them.

Ian - yes, I understand the difference between HDD and SSD, but it's now difficult to find a sensibly spec'd HDD at a reasonable price - ones with 1T of storage are now around £200 more than they were 6 years ago. Perhaps it's the old thing about when fewer of something are produced, the price goes up, so pushing people towards the newer tech that they may neither want nor need.

And if your cheap Brexit quip were true, everything would have gone up, and eg white goods (now full of chips) certainly haven't, and indeed are considerably and comparatively cheaper now than at any point in the past.

Posted by Blue Witch on 12 January, 2021 at 9:23 AM

And I use My Memory for sd cards etc. Plus you can get to them via a cashback site.

Posted by Debster on 14 January, 2021 at 11:14 PM

Why would anyone want to use a cloud? Haven't they heard of rain/sleet/snow, etc? We have several standalone NAS units. Why would you want anything else?

Posted by allotmentqueen on 15 January, 2021 at 12:44 AM

NAS units are a bit overkill for home use, surely? Plus they are another electric-guzzling unit that has to be always on. I can see the point if one is running a business (as I think you do?), but for personal use, I prefer external hard drives.

Posted by Blue Witch on 15 January, 2021 at 8:19 AM