Comments: A question of suction

Oreck are very light and come with a long lead. Otherwise the cheapest one at Sainsbury's ...

Posted by Debster on 12 March, 2021 at 10:01 AM

Hi BW

I live in a fairly typical suburban semi with mainly carpeted floors not a 300year old stone built house with a variety of floor coverings.

But like you we have upstairs and downstairs vacs, including a (probably) 20 year old upright Dyson DC04 that still cleans as well as it ever did.

However it’s now become rather heavy for these ageing bones to push around.

So only a couple of weeks ago we bought one of these new tangled cordless “stick like” Dysons ZW5 that hook onto a wall mounted station for charging.

Not only is it so much easier to use it cleans better than its older brother and the other vacs we have.

Might well be worth your while looking at one of these to solve at least part of your problem.

Ray

Posted by Ray on 12 March, 2021 at 11:04 AM

Have they just changed their servicing policy? We had an almost five year old ball one serviced last summer just before its fifth birthday all for free as part of their standard guarantee.
In fact he not only repaired the fault (which was an internal switch, rare replacement he said) but he also replaced the brush bat assembly as that's what he thought it would be and brought one with him.
Been less impressed with the little battery hand-held one. Not sure if I'd buy another Dyson but that's mainly as it becomes more obvious what a thoroughly unpleasant bloke he is and I'd not want to add to his stacks of cash than any noticeable fall in quality in the machines....

Posted by NiC on 12 March, 2021 at 3:29 PM

Ray - thanks, that is useful to know - if Costco do them, we can get one and send it back if it's not up to the job.

NiC - you had me excited there... but no, older machines are not covered. From their website:

"Machines not included:

Uprights:

DC01, DC03, DC04, DC07, DC14, DC15, DC18, DC27"

Ours three are - all in the above! I'm sure I have the original paperwork somewhere saying they'd always be covered... hmmm... if only I had the time I'd take them on...

Posted by Blue Witch on 12 March, 2021 at 4:59 PM

Our Dyson died three weeks ago so after a lot of perusing the net we opted for a Henry! First time I have ever used one and it's good. I wanted another bagless hoover but decided* to go with this.

*Sue decided.

Posted by delcatto on 12 March, 2021 at 7:00 PM

We have a Henry. Had it quite a few years now. Oops a lot of years on thinking about it. Works well, never load any worries. Now in DH’s shed as cleaner Ambermoggie brings her own. Which is a heavy duty dyson cylinder.

Posted by Ambermoggie on 12 March, 2021 at 8:46 PM

We're on our second Oreck in the past 20+ years. It works well for us, is not too heavy and transitions seamlessly from carpet to hardwood. Plus replacement bags, belts and even rollers are readily available and reasonably priced.

Let us know what you decide on!

Posted by Scoakat on 12 March, 2021 at 8:49 PM

Ours was a DC40 and we registered it online as soon as we got it as I seem to recall an engineer saying make sure you do on a previous model call out.

I must admit when I called them up I was amazed it was still covered!

Had a Henry in the holiday let (there when we bought it). The good point is that they're simple so do tend to go on for ever. They're nowhere near as good at sucking up the dirt as a Dyson though. I was amazed at how much extra dirt the Dyson picked up on a second run-over when using both!
And they're not bagless.
If we went non-Dyson next time it would have to be some other bagless model.....

Posted by NiC on 13 March, 2021 at 9:38 AM

Hi BW

Small correction to my post I quoted the wrong model number for the cordless “stick like” Dysons it should be V10 and NOT ZW5 (this was part of the serial number).

Ray

Posted by ray on 13 March, 2021 at 12:01 PM

Ours is a Dyson household too. We've had a V11 Absolute for nearly a year, and love it. Quite light, and the roller at the end of the stick is motorized. It has quite a large battery capacity, with three suction strengths.
It comes top of the Which? list too (we subscribe!) Other ones near the top are Tineco Pure One S12; Samsung Jet 90; Samsung Jet 75; then more Dysons.

Posted by Tim W on 13 March, 2021 at 4:28 PM

We have a liftaway shark. It seems effective, certainly more than the Dyson it replaced ( a cylinder purple animal one). If your house is largely flat without many changes of level, I'm a big advocate of robots, especially the roomba. But if your house is higgledy-piggledy they won't be the best choice.

Posted by Ian on 14 March, 2021 at 3:52 PM

Went through zillions of hoovers in building-related circumstances. Have had my current one for eight years, and it's easily the best - your mileage may vary of course, but it's a Miele Complete Cat & Dog; I got the extended warranty and they replaced a worn part at eight years, without quibble.

Posted by Tamsin on 15 March, 2021 at 12:19 PM

We got a refurbed DC14 when our original DC01 died. This was from the local Vacuum Repair Shop, at the recommendation of the Repairwoman who owns it.

The suction is such that on our carpets I can't push it. Which is great cos Husband has taken to it like a duck to water. I just do the dusting these days!

Of course, there will always be the question of spares. Ours lives only as long as the repairwoman has others to cannibalise.

But if you want another Dyson, anything pre-DC34 should have good suction. Anything after that . . .

Posted by Sharon on 20 March, 2021 at 1:33 AM