Comments: Climate change

We had bizarre thunder accompanied by glorious sunshine yesterday evening.

I thought you could vote in both places (for local councillors and P&CCs, not in a general election). You are presumably paying Council Tax on both Covens, so should have a say in how it is spent!

Posted by Tim W on 7 May, 2021 at 12:00 PM

There wasn't a May Day Bank Holiday before 1978 :)

Posted by diamond geezer on 7 May, 2021 at 1:59 PM

And, much to my amazement, both my (non-Tory) choices got elected, in seats that have been held by ineffectual Blues forever!

I guess the pigs with the blue rosettes stuck on them proved just too unsavoury, eventually (thus disproving my theory on the subject, but I'm very happy for it to be disproved!): or, people finally saw through them. Wish the rest of the country had...

DG - thank you. The BBC misinforms yet again. Saying "since records began" is totally misleading.

Posted by Blue Witch on 7 May, 2021 at 7:34 PM

It is all very odd weather wise. I've been hither and thither on my rounds and experienced hailstones today that I thought would crack the windscreen. Lots of rain these last few days with very warm sunshine and almost hints of heavy pressure presaging storms but none appeared. I haven't dared put my seedlings out because we again had a frost last night!

Posted by delcatto on 7 May, 2021 at 7:43 PM

This bloody Mouse will be meeting Mr Hammer if it continues to play up!!

Posted by delcatto on 7 May, 2021 at 7:44 PM

Your area and flowers are beautiful, BW, even if not exactly as ordered. We could use your green thumb in our yard.

And get a new one first, delcatto! I think I have 3 or four around here someplace...

Blogs and vlogs I frequent from the UK are all mentioning the weather over there recently. I hope it normalizes for you soon.

Posted by Scoakat on 7 May, 2021 at 10:32 PM

I almost missed the black familiar by the chair! Blends into the shadow.

Posted by Scoakat on 7 May, 2021 at 10:34 PM

Thank you Scoakat - the Black Familiar is in 2 of the photos - she is like a dog these days - far too needy and omnipresent!

Posted by Blue Witch on 8 May, 2021 at 11:58 AM

In central Ireland we have had frosts three days this week

Posted by Ian on 9 May, 2021 at 9:49 AM

"Farmers fear unkindly May - frost by night and hail by day" Flanders and Swann

Just to prove this, we'd had to move all the 'hardening off waiting to be planted out' plants back in again last Monday night. Tuesday we had HAIL! And again another day. Hope the frost has done for this 'winter', usually has by now.

Connected our large water butt on the promise of rain end of April. Bank Holiday and subsequent rain filled it to overflowing (8 days.) Husband had to go get a bung to stop the overflow ruining the footings of the paving on which it stands. Will connect the other big butt too - maybe that'll make it stop?

Posted by Sharon on 10 May, 2021 at 12:13 AM

I hadn't heard that ditty Sharon, interesting, thanks.

Posted by Blue Witch on 10 May, 2021 at 11:16 AM