Comments: Guess what happened today?

I think they need to do some damage limitation pronto but it sounds like too little too late.

Perhaps a large % off your bill and something to recompense you for the mess and inconvenience?

Posted by delcatto on 23 August, 2021 at 7:04 PM

Yep, whatever needed putting on it (and it wasn't sand) should undoubtedly have happened this afternoon. Suffice it to say that the company's Transport Manager was left in absolutely no doubt about my feelings on the subject!

If I were paying the skip company directly, I wouldn't be paying for this skip, or any future ones on this project. But, I guess the builder will just smile and let them gt away with it as it's not easy to get skips up here, especially currently, which is why this one came from an hour and a half across the country.

Posted by Blue Witch on 23 August, 2021 at 7:33 PM

Oh, bloody hell! I'm surprised you haven't already set the Environment Agency on them directly.

Posted by Sue on 23 August, 2021 at 8:57 PM

Yes, they should have someone out to remove the contaminated soil and backfill. If that happens I'd watch them like a hawk with your water pipe there. Is it above ground?

Posted by Scoakat on 23 August, 2021 at 10:02 PM

"After my call to her...."
So much distilled into just a few words. I'd love to have earwigged the conversation!

Posted by Tim W on 24 August, 2021 at 8:01 AM

Witchy Spells(copyright) needed ASAP!

Posted by Darren R on 24 August, 2021 at 1:10 PM

If your water-pipe is plastic (and most of them are) then be *very* careful, because they're oil-permeable. (Even in areas that are entirely run on oil boilers, as we discovered in Norfolk)

There is an oil-non-permeable version (basically a plastic pipe with a copper lining/insert) but that's more expensive.

But flushing oil out of the main/supply is a bastard of a job - for ours we had to have a plumber deal with replacing the entire length from main to house, including digging up the driveway etc. in order to do so.

Posted by Lyle on 24 August, 2021 at 5:44 PM

Thanks Lyle, it is, and that is grist to my mill.

Posted by Blue Witch on 24 August, 2021 at 7:26 PM