Comments: Could do better...

Ameliorate. There's a wonderful word!

Posted by Tim W on 9 September, 2021 at 10:15 AM

Amazingly, following Mr BW's 'short and sharp' text messages to Chief Builder, after 11am we suddenly had a full team of roofers, a window man, and several others following, all making their usual pathetic excuses. "We got stuck behind a tractor!" What, for 3 friggin' hours???!!!

Posted by Blue Witch on 9 September, 2021 at 2:05 PM

When I worked on an IT Helpdesk and had to co-ordinate engineers(mainly from IBM) it was far more frustrating being lied to and listening to ludicrous excuses, than dealing with the actual delays from genuine mistakes, or equipment shortages.
Just tell me the truth!

Posted by Darren R on 9 September, 2021 at 5:06 PM

What is it with builders. My son has the same experience.
Kirsty and Phil don't have these problems.

Posted by Caroline Greenwell on 9 September, 2021 at 5:56 PM

Slackers! They seem so disrespectful of your rules. Here in the U.S. I’ve never heard of homeowner having to offer beverages to trades or having such problems. It seems like your crew needs a strict governess or drilll sergeants on duty 24/7

Posted by Kippy on 9 September, 2021 at 9:36 PM

I do wonder what some of these trades might say if they called up their telephone banking service and the person replied with,

"Erm no, we're not working today, there was a problem with the whatjamacallit and so we have decided that it wasn't worth switching on the computer system, especially as it's a Friday anyway. So, anyhoo we should be back Monday, unless its raining as my dog can't stand getting wet so I have to take it for walks in the car so can't get to my desk before 12, so then its not really worth starting is it? Then I have promised John I would concentrate on his work rather than yours. Anyway, probably speak again Tuesday or Wednesday next week, have a lovely weekend, byeeeeee."

Posted by Mr BW on 10 September, 2021 at 7:33 AM

If you didn't need them to do the work a little added something to their teas would buck their ideas up.
Can you specify in contracts the loss of a percentage of payment for this?

Posted by delcatto on 10 September, 2021 at 3:57 PM

Tim - yes, it probably should have featured in my list of favourite words last week.

Darren - exactly.

Caroline - I'll bet they do, they just never show them... hmmm, gives me an idea for a new reality TV show... wonder who I can pitch it to?

Kippy - I think that is my role!!! Interesting that people don't offer workmen refreshments in the US. Over here it is universally expected if workmen are working in a home. We negotiated hard to get it down to 2 a day, at fixed times. As Mr BW says, it gives us (usually him) an excuse to see what they are up to, and to talk to them informally, which often gives us lots of interesting background info we wouldn't otherwise know.

Mr BW - don't forget that the bank have still lost that cheque for £1,000 and how unhelpful they are being about resolving that.

delcatto - believe me I've thought about it! While we can't alter the payment terms of the contract, we can counter-claim for the time we're spending in site management etc that we shouldn't have to. But... these really are the best builders around, Chief Builder is very pleasant and his workmanship is second to none, and we need him to get on with phase 2a (new garage and workshop) immediately. He really is working against the odds (availability of specialist trades, availability of materials, missing brain cells in employees) in the current climate.

Posted by Blue Witch on 10 September, 2021 at 4:37 PM