Comments: All Hallows' Eve

Door locked, curtains closed and lights off but hopefully school tomorrow will keep most of them at home.
We've had our house egged before now by feral teenagers using Halloween as an excuse.

Posted by delcatto on 31 October, 2021 at 2:41 PM

If it's a coleus it's not going to be hardy. RHS usually has a list of suppliers

Posted by Debster on 31 October, 2021 at 5:58 PM

We have a greenhouse full of non-hardies, so it's not a problem :) But, alas, the RHS Plant Finder doesn't list it. I've never seen this anywhere, including SA, where we've been to all the major botanical gardens now I think.

Posted by Blue Witch on 31 October, 2021 at 7:04 PM

Doors locked here, lights on minimum anyway as we stop to remember those who have gone before. We too have often been egged, last time just a few short weeks ago, so very grateful that it’s pouring down here.

Posted by Ambermoggie on 31 October, 2021 at 7:47 PM

BW, is it the same as Pycnostachys urticifolia? (this site seems to suggest it is http://pza.sanbi.org/coleus-livingstonei)

If it is, there's seeds on ebay.

Posted by Sue on 31 October, 2021 at 9:06 PM

(follow-up comment as my first may have been swallowed as I included an URL in it)

search for Pycnostachys urticifolia - seems to be the same thing and there are seeds on ebay, if not elsewhere.

Posted by Sue on 31 October, 2021 at 9:08 PM

Thanks Sue, it looks like that page is where the picture I pinched (which I found elsewhere) came from, and that this is yet another plant that has changed its name.

Seeds on Etsy from Israel, but from Germany on eBay but sold out. Both sources look a bit risky. Kew seem to have it in their herbarium but not elsewhere.

I think it must be very hard to grow over here as it is such a spectacular plant, and 5-8' tall, but not available.

Posted by Blue Witch on 1 November, 2021 at 12:11 AM

It looks amazing. I love that shade of blue.
We got some Echium seeds on a recent visit to Ventnor Botanic Gardens. They're for the ginormous-flower-spike Echiums originally from Madeira.
VBG has a selection of seeds for interested people. In addition to the name, these were labelled "This Is The One' Apparently lots of visitors want to try them.

Last Sunday night quiet - mostly because RAIN. Also quite a few local houses had the 'official' "Please don't bother us, we're not participating" sign up.

Posted by Sharon on 6 November, 2021 at 1:34 PM