Comments: Water hardness

I have a water softener and have never had that problem at all. Perhaps it's the nature of the water rather than its softness.

Two thoughts - bath oil stops a dirty ring forming on the bath, whether used in the water or put on a cloth and wiped round after, so it might work. I used bog standard liquid Radox but I should think liquid soap would work if you're sensitive to Radox etc.

The sort of spray that you use on the glass in a shower to stop water droplets and dirt, you just spray it on after using the shower and don't wipe off. I'd think that would work on a bath too, whether used before or after, I don't know.

Posted by Z on 9 December, 2021 at 9:22 PM

I have always found soft water less scummy. Are you using hard water amounts of soapy stuff?

White vinegar watered down 50%, in a spray bottle might help cut it (homemade shower spray).

So glad you have electricity back on, shocking.

Posted by Verity74 on 9 December, 2021 at 10:30 PM

I think it's due to the very high (natural) iron content in our water Verity. Have tried the white vinegar - actually, I think too much of this, and 'Elbow Grease' cleaner/degreaser has probably finished off the surfaces of the old bath and basins.

I thought it was a bit hopefully that there was a magic surface restoration product.

Posted by Blue Witch on 10 December, 2021 at 10:54 AM

Z - good ideas, thanks.

Posted by Blue Witch on 11 December, 2021 at 8:28 AM

Having lived in Devon for years now, where the water is also very soft, I use Method's shower spray, which I just spritz on to the bath after I've rinsed it out, and no problem. Very rarely do I have to clean it more thoroughly, and the spray smells of ylang ylang, so double win!

Posted by Tamsin on 13 December, 2021 at 11:59 AM

Thanks Tamsin, I hadn't heard of that product before. Now arriving with this week's groceries!

Posted by Blue Witch on 13 December, 2021 at 12:45 PM