Comments: Question for today

where do kilts, loin cloths etc etc fit into the equation

Posted by Caroline Greenwell on 11 January, 2022 at 10:46 PM

Kilts are traditional dress, starting in the 16th century, and
not the same as a conscious taking on of another gender's accepted dress, as happened with women widely wearing trousers from the mid-1900s.

Posted by Blue Witch on 12 January, 2022 at 8:41 AM

When did the currently accepted gender dress code first appear? Whose to say that it’s even correct? Maybe we can all wear a complete mix of both genders clothing….although at my age I would just probably be classified as eccentric.

Posted by Richard Evans on 12 January, 2022 at 9:53 PM

I think you'll find Grayson Perry probably did.

Posted by allotmentqueen on 13 January, 2022 at 12:01 AM

Richard - but transgender wasn't invented back when men didn't always wear trousers. Nothing wrong with eccentric. Much easier in more rural areas though ;)

AQ - but Grayson is transvestite not transgender. His autobiogrpahy is an excellent read if you've not read it. Albeit rather badly written in parts.

Posted by Blue Witch on 13 January, 2022 at 8:39 PM

I don’t care what people wear, it’s all just gender stereotypingand traditions.
I do care about people eroding womens sex based rights (single sex spaces and sports) because people can’t change sex.

Posted by Verity74 on 16 January, 2022 at 9:11 PM

Wanting/desiring to wear 'opposite sex clothes', for want of a better term, is not what defines transgenderism, but possibly more likely transvestism. Transvestism might be more accepted if 'dress wearing' had started at the same time as 'trouser wearing', but I don't think it has any bearing whatsoever on those who feel within their whole being that they have been born in the wrong sex body.

Posted by Darren Rigby on 17 January, 2022 at 1:48 AM

Verity - yes, that was something that delcatto and I had a long comments discussion about some itme ago.

Darren - yes, I know, but I do think that a lot of confused adolescents who jump on transgenderism as the answer to their normal teenage confusion/alienation/feeling different might work things out in a different way if there was more fluidity in dress and less specific dress(ing)-based gender determination and recognition. I should have explained my thinking a bit more, and I still might... There are so many case studies in my professional journals of people in their 20s and 30s regretting surgical/chemical gender reassignment they convinced medics was the 'right' thing for them when they were younger.

Posted by Blue Witch on 17 January, 2022 at 2:21 AM

BW - well, as you put it like that. x

Posted by Darren Rigby on 17 January, 2022 at 2:22 PM