Comments: Levelling up

I haven't had any coupons for many years now (London).

Posted by Caroline Greenwell on 2 February, 2022 at 6:47 PM

Lots of special offers are being withdrawn. Nectar is less generous on the special offers and local loyalty cards are being withdrawn.

Posted by Debster on 2 February, 2022 at 8:17 PM

I've never played Wordle, so I looked at your link. It appears to be the same concept as the game Mastermind, but with letters instead of colors?

Posted by Scoakat on 2 February, 2022 at 9:29 PM

And Waitrose are stopping free newspapers from 22nd.

Scoakat - yes, except that the original MM had 4 holes and 6 colours, but the principle is the same. Perhaps the fact that I honed my skills on that in the 70s is why Wordle was so addictive for 10 weeks.

Posted by Blue Witch on 3 February, 2022 at 8:03 AM

I wonder what's going to happen now that he's sold Wordle to NYT

Posted by Caroline Greenwell on 3 February, 2022 at 8:59 AM

Having experimented with using 2 My Waitrose cards, I think they send vouchers to people who have shopped in the past, but NOT shopped there regularly.

Gone are the days of vouchers for loyal shoppers.

Posted by Verity74 on 5 February, 2022 at 8:47 AM

We still periodically get Waitrose vouchers. In fact, I think another set is due about now...

Posted by Tim W on 6 February, 2022 at 8:05 AM

I think paper vouchers have gone away, but electronic ones still happen - Te$c0 certainly do it all online, and Nectar seems to be all accrued on-card rather than anything papery. (Although I haven't visited Sainsbury's since That There Covid) I'm too common to use Waitrose. :-)

As for Wordle, yes, it's Mastermind for words. (There's also a crap version on daytime ITV as a quiz programme called Lingo) I'm amazed by how many people think it's just about guessing, rather than applying logic to it.

Posted by Lyle on 9 February, 2022 at 12:25 PM