Comments: Southern Woes

The more you look the more you'll find!

Would it make more sense to sell some of the bigger furniture with the house and get or build new?

Posted by Scoakat on 14 July, 2022 at 11:26 PM

We're leaving all the white goods (fridges, freezers, washing machine, dishwasher) Scoakat as we already have a set we bought when we bought Coven Nord in 2020. Whether the buyers will want them or we will have to pay to have them taken away is debatable.

No-one wants 2nd hand furniture these days, and all ours is excellent quality, solid wood, with most pieces made to our own design by craftsmen, and would cost at least £15K-£20K to replace. Plus, once one pays for removal men and a lorry, it doesn't matter what goes in, it's the same price.

We have found a couple of firms to quote, and it is much much cheaper to move furniture than to replace it, even if we could find the quality and styles we'd want.

Posted by Blue Witch on 15 July, 2022 at 7:24 AM

Ha! I had forgotten John Cooper Clarke!!

Posted by Tim W. on 15 July, 2022 at 9:34 AM

Oh Tim, how could you!

The Punk Poet. And still going strong! I still know every word to "I married a monster from outer space", and can recite it in the appropriate accent. Mr BW groans every time that something triggers me to do that.

His gigs at Friars in Aylesbury and Wycombe Town Hall are high up my 'best ever' list.

Posted by Blue Witch on 15 July, 2022 at 6:18 PM

When we walk tentacle in hand ... Love that. I've seen him several times, most recently at Weymouth. Mum hated Beasley Street. She said it was the most depressing thing she'd ever heard.

Posted by Debster on 16 July, 2022 at 9:14 AM

Debster, yes, and even worse in real life.

I had a Vacation Student Scheme position in the Social Research Branch of the civil service in the summer of 1983 and was sent from London to Birmingham on the train every day (first class as I was with a permanent officer entitled to travel first class) for 10 days to look at how people in one street in the most deprived area were coping with having no money as all the benefit offices were on strike. It was at least as bad as Beasley Street. I was acutely aware that my daily train fare and subsistence allowance would have solved the problems of the whole street.

I love lots of lines from Beasley Street, but particularly:
"The boys are on the wagon
The girls are on the shelf
Their common problem is
That they’re not someone else.
"

Posted by Blue Witch on 16 July, 2022 at 10:25 AM

The line she particularly hated was Alsatians dog the dirty days down the middle of Beasley Street

Posted by Debster on 17 July, 2022 at 9:30 PM