Comments: Marching on

The moral of this tale is, of course, not to keep all your money in one place.

Have multiple accounts of each sort and spread your money around.

As cyber-fraud increases, I can only see this kind of scenario getting more and more common. The thought of being stuck without access to money or banking for 24 hours (or longer), and payments in or out potentially bouncing during this time, at the whim of a bank with whom you hold all your funds, because they 'don't like the look of a transaction' you have made in good faith, is concerning.

Posted by Blue Witch on 1 March, 2024 at 3:53 PM

Thus far I have managed to avoid online banking. It's only two or three times a year that I find I need an electronic service, but that can be accessed at the branch - or could until it closed. I visit the next nearby town with a branch not infrequently, so it's not too much of a handicap - until I arrived at their door at 2.59pm to discover they now close at 3. How very traditional. I appreciate that Kent is somewhat different to the wilds of Northumberland...

Posted by Man of Kent on 1 March, 2024 at 4:44 PM

Pleased to have you back again. A pity that such annoying treatment was the spur to you getting back with us.
My partner does no do internet and she is always having trouble getting through to her banks and once connected not being able to understand the person at the other end of the line.

Posted by MikeR on 1 March, 2024 at 6:06 PM

I’m glad to see you posting BW even if it is for such an annoying thing to happen. I hate online banking for that reason.btw I’d actually just said to M this morning that I must phone as I was worried about you both.

Posted by Ambermoggie on 1 March, 2024 at 6:38 PM

Yes it's been a very grey depressing few months. I've been struggling to keep the will to live.
Your saga with the bank is frustrating in the extreme. Fortunately I've not had anything to this sort of level. But you're right, maybe I should get some sort of additional bank account. I think it's less of a "just in case" as a "when". Especially since I'll shortly be 79 so even more eligible for being classified as gaga.
However last week I was praised by someone who only looked 20 years my junior because I was competently using my smartphone and satnav. Was undecided whether to feel complimented or insulted.

Posted by Caroline Greenwell on 1 March, 2024 at 6:46 PM

Online banking itself is fine, and the way I play with money to stay solvent could not be done in any branch, even if there were any nearby, which there aren't. I couldn't cope with telephone banking these days, and I shouldn't have had to cope with Fraud from Foreign by telephone either as there was absolutely no reason for the payment ever to have been flagged. I'm thinking of copy and pasting this post and emailing it to the CEO of the bank and as many directors as I can find e-addresses for, with the title, "For comment/explanation/apology". It's a very long time since I have been so annoyed with a company.

Posted by Blue Witch on 1 March, 2024 at 6:49 PM

How awful! I’d definitely report them to CEO etc.
I used to get actual stomach cramps when I had to call Comcast for issues. Very patronizing customer service . How often do they need to say “oh thank you so much for contacting Comcast. I am so grateful that I can help you.” during a phone call? Plus the poor perception of English language.
Whenever I called and got person in U.S. the relief was immense and the issue was solved quickly

Posted by Kippy on 1 March, 2024 at 8:38 PM

Kippy - exactly that. And to add, when they overuse your first name, appending it to every sentence they utter, when you haven't given permission for them to use it in the first place.

Posted by Blue Witch on 2 March, 2024 at 2:09 AM

Ha! Yesterday I was also having problems with my (now ex-) bank, spending ages on the phone to multiple, incompetent staff.

Posted by Tim W. on 2 March, 2024 at 8:34 AM

We have current accounts with 5 banks (and, from time to time, if there are good offers around, it is more than that). It gives lots of flexibility and options for when one of them is being stupid. Fortunately, because it happens increasingly often.

Posted by Blue Witch on 2 March, 2024 at 11:23 AM

Blimey! That sounds dreadful but sadly it does not surprise me. To phone you back to berate you for completing their survey really takes the biscuit, cheeky sods.

Posted by delcatto on 2 March, 2024 at 4:39 PM

Having recently got married and going through the name change, I've had amamy dealings with bank customer services lately. It stands me in good stead to know which ones I need to close....namely the one who instead of changing my name, cancelled the card without warning. I only found out when I tried to pay with it. Thank goodness I run more than one bank account.

Posted by Sarah on 2 March, 2024 at 5:33 PM

Good to see you back.

We recently upgraded our internet service. It worked perfectly for one day. Then it was cancelled. Literally, the day after some new hardware was installed and activated, and worked, the account was closed. They also cancelled our landline telephone service. No one has been able to explain how or why.

As a workaround they had to open a new account for the internet service to be restored a few days later (a process that normally takes a few weeks, apparently).

Unfortunately the new account doesn't come with email, but the old one did. Convenient for them, as they want to stop providing an email service but grandfathered existing accounts.

All of my family's emails (five people) were deleted irretrievably. Credit cards, banking, tax, purchase receipts, the lot.

Because apparently IT companies keep no back-ups, and irreversible steps can be taken by mistake.

I've been using the same internet service provider for the best part of 20 years with no real problems. It is only inertia keeping me now.

Posted by Andrew on 2 March, 2024 at 6:10 PM

Sarah - Congratulations! may you have many happy years together.

Andrew - I am very sorry to hear that. I would be devastated if that happened to me. For the future - have you thought of pulling emails into your own machines, rather than keep them in the cloud? I've used Thunderbird for years and Mr BW now uses it rather than Outlook too. It's stories like this that make me never want to give up paper copies of financial statements, and I pull email to 2 machines, which are both backed up to an external hard drive regularly. I think I only leave email on the server for 40 days - it used to be 15, but then we started going away for a month in the winter and I needed a security blanket in case something went wrong when we were away. Good luck sorting it all out.

Posted by Blue Witch on 3 March, 2024 at 7:13 AM